I've been struggling to develop my grand campaign, which will include 15mm, 6mm and Fleet Scale wargaming and Traveller roleplaying. I created a map using the Traveller Map 'Poster Maker', then realised I had an error in my spreadsheet for star system creation and started again. I'm also trying to fit all these different ranges of figures, bits and pieces from various settings into my own setting and I've finally come to the realisation that the task is too big to prepare prior to gaming. If I try to get it all designed and prepared before I start gaming, I will never get to play a game.

For the map I'm going to change to the Astrogators Handbook which maps the positions of pretty much every star within 75 light years of the Solar System. It may be a bit dated but it looks good.

For now the space beyond the solar system will be defined only in vague terms, the star positions will be known, but what's in each star system will not be known. I will have a general idea where the major star empires are located, but the specifics will only become apparent as the game expands outwards.


I recently purchased VBAM and intend to use it to run the overall campaign. Important space battles will be resolved using Fullthrust: Project Continuum, while important planetary battles will be resolved with Dirtside II. Planetary engagements of company strength or less will be resolved using Tomorrow's War, unimportant or minor engagements can be resolved with VBAM rules if players don't want to battle them out on the table. VBAM rules will likely be used to resolve conflicts involving two or more non-player factions.

I like both the Tuffleyverse and the Tomorrowverse, but I'm also leaning towards the 2300AD setting. I think I have a preference earth to be just as fragmented as it is today, with somewhere over 150 independent nations, and not a half dozen to a dozen power blocs.

The 2300AD setting makes for a good starting point. The timeline is vague regarding the Twilight War (WWIII) giving no set start or end dates, primarily due to a loss of records during the post war recovery period. That recovery begins somewhere in the last few decades of the 21st century, with a neutral France emerging far better off than the rest of the world. From this point the timeline extends to 2300AD where the game is meant to start. I think I'll go back to around the mid 2100s, with nations beginning to build their first FTL capable ships and starting to explore nearby star systems.

I haven't fully read the VBAM rules but they look to be able to handle non-player factions with specific systems designed for that purpose.

I plan for the wargames campaign to provide a variant 2300AD setting, within which our group may roleplay or wargame, as they choose.

Comments

Popular Posts