Return to duty

Ok... I've been gone a while. I find the older I get, the longer I suffer with any illness............ Bugger.

So while dealing with the flu and then bronchitis, I haven't been posting or playing much, but I have been reading a fair bit, mostly online and a few old game books. I've also been doing a good deal of thinking.

I discovered the Cepheus Engine SRD by Samardan Press and Near Space by Stellagama Publishing. The former is an OGL version of Traveller Rules, the latter provides a Referee's Sandbox for setting creation. I won't review them here because I've given a review for Near Space on the DTRPG site and Cepheus Engine SRD has been reviewed by other bloggers several times and on DTRPG, suffice to say, both are excellent products and well worth buying.

These products plus my love for Traveller and Sci-fi wargames has prompted me to plan a setting in which to play both. Using the Near Space no HSC map as the core setting map, (hoping you plan to do expansion maps Stellagama), I fleshed out the UWP data with T5's world generation system.

This yielded 88 inhabited worlds out of 89. Twenty homeworlds, including earth and the only uninhabited world (extinct species). The rest are transplanted, transient or settler populations, with two corporate worlds and five actual colonies (one of which is a prison/exile camp). The highest tech level is 14 with the average hovering somewhere around 8-10.

T5 world gen can produce some odd results, like really low tech worlds with little or no atmosphere and a population, two of these I've decided were overrun by Xenomophs. TL in this case is what the few survivors are able to produce while running and hiding from hordes of aliens. The actual TL would take a significant jump if the infestation can be cleared and the worlds repopulated.

Next I have to work out which homeworld belongs to which species and work out the political boundaries. I also have to work out game stats for each species, for Fullthrust: Project Continuum, Dirstide II, Stargrunt II and The Cepheus Engine SRD and make them compatible between the different rules sets.

The idea is that we conduct our wargames one week and then play the rpg the next week, thus providing a continuously changing background. The players will have a great deal of input into this setting as they will be playing military (and perhaps political) leaders one week, and then merchants and travellers of all sorts the next.

That's all for now


Five Alpha, out.






Comments

Popular Posts