Setting, Part 1

Ok so starting on that list with setting I have prepared data for a Traveller sector map. I have yet to assign allegiances to the individual systems or determine exactly what factions exist. I know what worlds have a native population, which worlds are colonies, which ones are being colonised and which are being exploited for their resources etc. What I haven't worked out is whose homeworlds and colonies they are, or who is exploiting what world. Earth is the only one I'm certain of so far.

Since 'who' is a big part of the setting, I thought I'd discuss which factions should be in the setting. Previously I tried to include factions from several different settings, namely the GZG/Tuflleyverse, the Tomorrowverse and some others. I realised I'd swing towards one, then towards another and back again. So now I'm looking at working up my own, naturally they'll bear some (read 'a lot of') resemblance to the factions from these games.
While I haven't settled on the names yet, here are my current crop of factions, which are based largely on the miniatures I already have:

Faction                            Figure Range
Arab League                    GZG's Islamic Federation
Chuhuac                           Loud Ninja Game's Chuhuac
Felids                                Kurasan's Felids
Garr'hul                           Darkest Star Games' Garr'hul
Intruders                          Khurasan's Earth Doom
Jaffa                                  GZG's High Tech Egyptians
Kra'Vak                            GZG's Kra'Vak
Marshborn                       GZG's Crusties
Martian Republic             GZG's UNSC Marines
Neu Deutscher Bund       GZG's New Swabian League
Phalons                            GZG's Phalons
Soriog Empire                 Khurasan's Soriog Empire
Russia                              GZG's Eurasian Solar Union
Third French Empire      GZG's Federal Stats Europa
United Kingdom              GZG's New Anglian Confederation
Mangalores                     GZG's Alien Mercenaries
Xarr                                 GZG's Xar (I don't actually have these yet)
Zhodani                           Darkest Star Games' Venturians
                                        and Eureka Miniatures' Ventaurans

This list is far from exhaustive but it is a start.
There figure ranges I haven't worked out a faction for yet, for instance I have some Khurasan RPK Neo-Arabs that need a faction. There are also factions that don't have a miniatures range to represent them, Lunar faction for example, needs some high tech troops. I'm thinking either GZG's Out Rim Coalition Marines or UNSC Light Infantry, either would work. Using the UNSC LI would imply a link of some sort with the Martians as the UNSC Marines and Light Infantry ranges share similar weapons and equipment, although they do wear very different armour.

I like the divided earth, as opposed to the united earth. As others have said, it allows for mankind to take its wars with them when they go to the stars. After some thought, I'm going to allow some larger political entities, such as multi-national alliances. I do want to keep most nation states as they currently stand. Perhaps there's been a regime change, like the Third French Empire, or a nations off-world possessions have empowered or impoverished a nation.

I have some ideas for each faction, but I'll leave them for later when I do individual faction posts.


Comments

Popular Posts