Faces

I think I mentioned faces in a previous post and have expressed my preference for miniatures with visible faces on FB.

Let me first say that I couldn't paint a face to save myself. Yet I still prefer miniatures with at least some part of the face visible.

Perhaps it is part of being human. Perhaps I need to see the face of the person I'm talking to. Come to think of it, I dislike talking on the phone too. Maybe for me a conversation is more than just the words spoken. Perhaps for me, a conversation includes subtle changes in facial expression, eye movement and muscle twitches. This is not a conscious thing. Until now I hadn't really thought about it.

Like I said I dislike talking on the phone, similarly on the few occasions when I've talked to someone with a full face helmet on, I felt some level of disquiet until they lifted the visor. 

This seems to have carried over into my miniatures gaming, I have a definite preference for miniatures with a visible face. The face can be partially hidden behind a visor, breathing apparatus, or a handkerchief over the mouth and nose, but as long as some part of the face is visible, I'm happy with the figure.

I own figures in full face helmets, indeed some wear fully enclosed space suits, combat armour, or power armour. While I have nothing per se against these figures and fully intend to use them in my games, they are not my favourites. Purely because they have no visible face.


This probably explains my preference for GZG miniatures as most of Mr Tuffley's figure ranges have visible faces. Some don't of course, but to me it seems that the majority do.

It's the same for droids and aliens, they've got to have a face or the semblance of a face. The narrow visors on power armour are sort of face like, but that's stretching it a bit.

Half masks or drop down visors are ok, but the blank 'spacesuit like' faceplates are not for me. Faceplates like that should only be on figures meant for operations in a vacuum or other harsh environment. Fully enclosed helmets with vision goggles or similar are somewhere on the border, they're not really a face, but I find them more appealing than the blank faceplate.


Strange, but there you have it. What would you call that? Am I a 'faceophile'?



Five Alpha, out.

Comments

Popular Posts