Daleks

Recently I was prompted to buy the Risk: Dalek Invasion of Earth board game, by a FB post regarding Daleks.

I'd seen the game available here in Australia for about $80. Originally I thought it was over $90, not sure why, perhaps I misread the price tag or mixed it up with something else I'd seen. Anyway, since it would only cost me $68, including postage, to order it on Amazon, I did so.

It arrived fairly quickly and Subcommander Amelia and I played a short game, which we were unable to finish before her bedtime arrived.

Today I got a pair of miniatures from each of the five armies out of the box and compared them to some miniatures from Oddzial Ozmy, Rebel Minis and GZG, (these were what I had within arm's reach).


Dalek miniatures in the game come in two sizes, large and small, in each army there is something like 36 small Daleks and 15 large Daleks, the latter used to represent 3 of the smaller ones in the game. The Grey, Yellow and Mustard coloured armies represent the Classic Dalek design, while Black and Orange represent the New Paradigm design.


One large and one small Dalek from each army in the game. The rear rank is the Classic Dalek design, while the front rank is the New Paradigm design.

This view from the side shows the differences between the two designs, notably the eyestalk and the central part of the torso (the bit the arms are connected to).

Since there are three Classic and two New Paradigm armies, with each having 36 small and 15 large Dalek miniatures, in the game. One could field a Classic Dalek force of just under 120 Daleks, and/or a New Paradigm force of 30 Daleks. Or one could ignore the differences and field a force of 180 small Daleks and/or a force of 75 large Daleks.

The miniatures are made of a soft plastic, like the old airfix plastic miniatures.
The eyestalks have been moulded without the lens on the end and the arms likewise lack details, the suction cup like attachment on the manipulator arm and the cooling fins on the weapon arm, not that I expected a great deal of detail. They do however clearly represent Daleks and are pretty much the right scale for our purposes. 
At the price I paid ($68AUD), it works out to about $0.26 per miniature (4 for $1.04, 8 for $2.08), not including the game board, cards and tiny Tardis. As a cheap Dalek option, they should work fine for the tabletop and they can still be used in the board game.


Comments

  1. I got the idea of picking up that RISK game from The Alien Squad Leader Blog. great and cheap way to field an army of those nasty little ash cans of destruction !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's where I got the idea too. Although I'm sure I've seen it suggested on a number of blogs/groups as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts