Experiments in Basing, part 2

Some thoughts on pricing:

Despite my earlier post on basing I was curious to know how much everything cost and comparing different options on their dollar value.

As an example I looked at the cost of putting together a 4-man fire team base.

Option One
This option calls for the miniatures to be mounted on a small round ply disc with a very thin steel disc stuck to it's underside, the miniature is then stood inside a depression in the fire team base which has a small magnet affixed to the bottom.

We'll need a Brigade Models 4-man fire team base, costing 50p or $0.88AUD.
We'll also need 4 little base magnets to go in the fire team base, these come 20 to a pack at 50p or $0.88AUD ($0.044AUDx4=$0.18AUD)

add to that 4 Litko 15mm x 1.5mm circular plywood bases at $15.65 per 100 ($0.1565AUDx4=$0.63AUD)
and 4 Litko 15mm circular flexible steel bases at $13.04AUD per 100 ($0.1304AUD x4=$0.53AUD)
So not including the cost of glue, miniatures, decorative basing materials and shipping we're looking at a cost of 0.88+0.18+0.63+0.53=$2.22AUD per 4-man fire team.

Option Two
This option has the miniature glued to a steel washer which is then placed onto a thin magnetic sheet which has a sheet of balsa stuck to it's underside.

Balsa Flat 100mm Wide x 1.5mm Thick x 915mm Long at $3.59AUD cut into 50mm squares gives us 36 such square bases at ($0.0997AUD) each
add  a 1 metre length of Magnetic Sheeting - Self Adhesive - 0.6mm x 620mm at $28.60 per metre cut into 50mm squares giving 240 such squares at ($0.119AUD) each.
plus 4 Brigade Models M8 washers 40 washers per £1.00 or $1.76AUD, that works out to ($0.044x4=$0.176AUD)
In this case we have (not including the cost of glue, miniatures, decorative basing materials and shipping) a cost of 0.0997+0.119+0.176=$0.40AUD (actually slightly less) per 4-man fire team.

Yes, I'm aware there are way more than two options for basing miniatures so far however these are the two methods I've worked out to allow me to base my miniatures with enough flexibility to be used in several different game systems.


Option Two is by far the cheaper option, even if I replace the balsa wood with plywood it would still only cost $0.44AUD, whereas Option One works out to $2.22AUD per fire team base.
Both methods will produce a fire team base capable of holding 4 miniatures, but while Option One would require different Bases to be ordered from Brigade Models for different fire team sizes, Option Two can be cut to size, in this case 50mm square, which is ideal for Alien Squad Leader, and still just as useful for other systems.

I've excluded the costs of glue, miniatures, other basing materials (like flock, grit etc.) and shipping, (I get the impression that UK shipping is cheaper for some reason, but not by much), primarily because these costs will generally be the same regardless of which method I choose to use.

I'll have to wait for the high commander to approve my budget proposal, but I'll get working on Option Two, as soon as I can.

I'll also complete an example of Option One for comparison.

Five Alpha, out.

Comments

Popular Posts