Experiments in Basing

       Hi, I want to talk about basing in this post. So first let me explain that I started out with the plan to play Stargrunt, which was designed for 25mm individually based miniatures. I read a little about different scales and bought some of GZGs figures in 25mm, 15mm and 6mm. After comparing them I decided on the 15mm miniatures as a good compromise between detail and price. So now I was working with 15mm individually based figures, which also worked for me when I decided that I would also like to use Traveller 15mm deckplans.

       When I started I asked around regarding the cheapest thing to use as bases. The most common answers were washers and pennies. Not having a ready supply of pennies to hand I went to the local Bunnings store looking for washers. I got some that were about 16mm diameter but they only came in small packets of about thirty. I didn't think to ask for bigger packets. The next time I bought some I got them from a local hardware store, they were a little thicker and wider in diameter. I failed to actually compare the two batches of washers, and therefore ended up with two different forces on different sized bases.

        After discovering my error, I did a little more research into washers and other options for basing. In the process I found the fire team bases produced by Brigade Models. They looked good and I thought they would make movement on the table a little faster. I ordered enough to base a platoon sized force, with two, three and four man fire teams. I made sure to order at least one of each of the other sizes for comparison. After researching the available sizes of washers and their prices locally. I was amazed to find that it would be cheaper for me to include some of the washers sold by Brigade in my order. Maybe my research is faulty, but for some reason the washers I wanted appeared to cost double what they cost in the UK. Yes, I know there is the cost of shipping so it probably evens out, but the shipping cost didn't change after I included them in the order, so I think I may have had a win.



        Once my order arrived I wasted no time in basing my forces on the new washers and checking out how they would look on the fire team bases. In the order I also got some base magnets, which I tried out on the fire team bases, unfortunately the indents for placing the magnets is located in the centre of the indent for the miniature and so the hole in the washer defeats the magnetic pull. Someone recently posted on FB a very common question "What do you use for bases?" A few responses suggested Litko bases, so I gave them a look and discovered that they have bases in 15mm, 20mm, and 25mm, which fit nicely into the Fire Team bases 18mm, 22mm and 27mm cutouts. I chose plywood as the material and ordered 100x 15mm round bases, also to enable the magnets to hold the miniatures in place on the Fire Team base I ordered the same size and quantity in flexible steel. I'm waiting on them to arrive, when they do I'll see what my options are; do I need to attach the steel to the ply or can I use the steel alone.

       Having discovered many sets of rules for sci-fi wargaming, I'm eager to give some of them a try; hence the desire to base my figures individually, and have the option to use fire team basing. The Fire Team bases are about 45mm on a side, making them 5mm smaller than standard Alien Squad Leader bases. Since most of my games will use forces from my collection and I already have some bases, it makes sense to continue using them. As long as all forces in an ASL game are based the same it doesn't really matter what size bases they use. If I really have to have 50mm square bases for ASL, Litko makes 50mm square magnetic bases that will easily hold my newly based minis.

      The ultimate plan is to have a miniatures collection with the flexibility to be used in a number of different games SG II, TW, ASL Striker, and others as I encounter them.

The Litko bases arrived today. I waited until after Subcommander Amelia had retired for the evening. After that I left the other 90% of my brain in the lounge room watching her TV and retreated to my little study. Here I chose squads from several different factions and got ready to add the Litko bases to them.

 These are examples of the 15mm round bases in 1.5mm thick Ply and 15mm round flexible steel. I had though that I would have to glue the two together, but I discovered that there is a layer of adhesive under the paper. It was therefore fairly easy to stick the two together. The Ply bases alone would be suitable for a lot of gamers, but I want to be able to secure my miniatures by magnets, hence the metal add on under the Ply.
Oh... by the way, the Ply bases will leave a very tiny amount bit of charcoal on your fingers when handled and they have a slight burnt wood smell about them. I must be a repressed arsonist or something, because I found the smell quite pleasant.

 Here is a Ply base with a flexible steel base applied to it's underside. How long the adhesive holds for I don't know yet, but it feels fairly secure.

 A figure standing on a base for your viewing pleasure.

 Ok here, I've based a section of Foreign Legion troops on Litko bases. Since the smallest unit in their organisation is the Binom, I went with two figure fire team bases from Brigade Models. The magnets you can see in the middle of the fire team base in the foreground are used to hold the miniatures in place. The magnets do a fine job, even holding the miniatures in place when held upside down. If you pick the whole base up by a figure, the weight of the other figures will break the magnetic field, 

 These are UAE troops in three fire teams of three.

 ESU Naval Infantry, in 2 figure stands, they should be in four figure stands, but I have to work with what I have for now.

 These NAC or UK Royal Marines are on a 4 figure base and two two figure bases.

 These NSL or German Panzergrenadiers are on three figure fire team bases. They've been trasferred from an early washer base to the Litko bases.

 UNSC or Traveller Imperial Marines on 3x Three man fire team bases.

 An example of a weapons team base using washers, but I'll replace the washers with 25mm round Ply when I order some.

 These and some of the mounted troops will use these cavalry bases and 20mm Litko bases.

 One of the GZG airportable jeep like vehicles on a Brigade Models plain rectangular fire team base.

GZG Crusties on the new bases.
 A slightly different picture of the Crusties.

Kra'Vak on the Litko bases.

Ok, so let's just say I like the Litko bases. Just peel the paper off the steel disc and stick the bases together, dab of glue and add the model/miniature. Pop a magnet in the slot on the Fireteam base, then let them dry.
I will definitely be placing a large order as soon as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts